Friday, September 2, 2011

Food Friday - Salted Caramel Spread

Hi, my name is Aimee, and I'm a caramel-holic.  I was in denial for years, thinking how could my favorite flavor not be chocolate? I mean, who could turn down a chocolate cupcake, chocolate ice cream, or even just a good piece of chocolate-- even if there were other options.  


As my tastes matured, I realized I didn't want such heavy desserts, and as I strived to find the best chocolates to eat or use, I noticed how much better everything was with caramel.  For a little while, everything was chocolate and caramel.  Starbucks had (ages ago) a caramel mocha, and for a while that was my drink of choice, but I kept tweaking it...something wasn't quite right.  I added a shot or two, fiddled with the number of syrup pumps, eventually my order got so complicated that only my husband could remember it.  (Venti Iced Mocha with 3 pumps mocha, 2 of caramel, and an add shot--yikes!)  


In an attempt to simplify, I pared down my drink order to feature only one at a time and when it was just caramel, I realized I didn't miss the chocolate at all.  So now, with a simplified drink order (Venti Iced Caramel Macchiato), I leap ahead with faith that everything is indeed better with caramel and you don't need to pair it to be satisfied.


After calling myself a "Chocolate Person" for so long, I really like what being a "Caramel Person" says about my personality:  I'm complex, I play well with others, if you're patient I get better and better, and depending on my mood I can have quite a bite.




When I think of perfect caramel, I think of something buttery, smooth, slightly salty, and with a texture that's not too runny but not too thick.  After seeing this recipe by photographer and pastry chef Kathrin Koschitzki for "Confiture caramel au beurre salé" on Design Sponge, I knew it would be pure caramel perfection.  I hope it will make caramel converts out of a few of you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment